06 July 2010

Micro :)

Found a GREAT Micro text! Lange Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology is the shiznit. I wish I had discovered it 18 months ago when I was struggling through Immmuno in first year!

Anyway, I have been a busy bee. I have started the process of registering for the step 1, and I have a realistic and organized (for me) schedule written up. I'm sure if anyone else looked at it, they would think it is the ravings of a lunatic. But it is tailored to what I anticipate my life for the next few months will look like. Also, I organized all of my flash cards by system, so I can just stick a pack in my purse for the week I am working on that system, and take them out whenever I am on the bus or have a few moments to flip through them.

As far as studying goes, I have gotten through all of the Bacteria, so now I am on to Viruses, Fungi, and other tiny creatures. I am working on mind maps of the Gram -ve's, Gram +ve's, and the random others. I will post them soon.

In other news, I noticed that in the Psych section, First Aid does not have the SADAFACES mnemonic for depression! What is this "SIGECAPS" nonsense?!? The best part about SADAFACES is that there are nine criteria which correspond (although the wording is different) to the DSM criteria for a major depressive episode. According to the DSM, the patient should have 5 / 9 for >2 weeks, and these must include dysthymia and/or anhedonia. I know this is quite clinical and perhaps more Step 2-ish, but really!

S - sleep disturbance
A - anhedonia
D - dysthymia
A - appetite / weight changes
F - fatigue
A - agitation & psychomotor changes
C - concentration & cognition changes
E - esteem problems
S - suicidal thoughts.

XO --KM <3